Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Am I a masochist?


I know how jealous I am. So,why do I ask? I always ask & then regret. I guess I just secretly wish I was slender & sexy & desirable, too.
Why does society make girls think they're borderline worthless if they're not the ideal that's in magazines & films & on stage? Why do we allow ourselves to subscribe to such bullshit ideologies? Why is it that we have allowed our society to create an image of what women should be?
Men idealize this fantasy. Women strive to be that picture in the magazine. Furthermore, they hate those who are and hate themselves when they're not.
Unfortunately, I don't have the answers. I do, however, think about it a lot. I guess I even worry about it a lot.
Somewhere along the way, it all got into my head & I've convinced myself that if I don't look like this or act like that, even the love of my life, who I know would love me regardless, would somehow not find me beautiful or sexy enough.
As much as I don't want to care, I know that I do & it bothers me. I want to be happy with who I am, not what I seem to think I should be. Although, honestly, I am happy the majority of the time but then, whether it's hormones or just moments of weakness, there are a lot of times that I am not.
People are so fickle. I hate it when my boyfriend talks about some "hot chick" but I wouldn't like it if he didn't either. I always want to know, but then I'm upset when I know the truth.
Why the fuck does it matter?! Besides, as much as I like to think that I don't idealize certain men, I'm sure I absolutely do, consciously or not.
More than anything, I just want to be in people's heads. I want to know what's going on. I want to know how all this works. Why do we allow these ideals to ruin relationships, self-esteem, points of view?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's all about societal conformity. And also, I think that we actually do believe that models and actors and actresses and yadda yadda look smokin' hot, and there's nothing wrong with that. Each of us has our own preferences in terms of body type and overall look. The line should be drawn, however, when the obsession with images of "perfection" become so ingrained that those arbiters of style, fashion, and media begin suggesting that we all must strive to look the same, to attain some level of physicality which they recommend.

Believe me, I've struggled with this also (perhaps more than you know); but I can comfortably say that I am happy with my body and will continue to work at appreciating all of the things that I do love about myself. I think you should take this approach also, my dear.

dream said...

i wonder how many people go through literal hell trying to look like joanna newsome or whoever before they realize that noone loves joanna newsome because of her body, but because of her good songwriting and heartfelt lyrics, and then copy and paste that into their own lives. then again i wonder if maybe going through this is part of growing up. you cant learn to be happy if you've never been miserable.


also, sorry i dont read your blog more.<3

Lauren Anna said...

I just came across this and I think I know exactly what you feel.
I also have a boyfriend and no matter the compliments and the reassuring touches. I still wonder do i look good enough for him. Or does he want me to look like those women in magazines. This is a question that no one can answer. I hope i'm good enough.