Wednesday, April 14, 2010

After all, it's you, my pride and me...


I've been putting this blogpost off for way too long. I'm not a very loyal writer. I'll doubt my abilities to translate my thoughts and simply avoid sitting down to the therapeutic roll of my fingers over the keys that I secretly miss so much.
I bought tickets to see two absolutely phenomenal bands today. I have a date with Mister Dustin Kensrue and Mister Andy Hull next Thursday.
Thrice has been one of my all-time favorite bands since I was in eighth grade. They have changed the way I see music. It's not about what you used to make, it's about what you have still yet to create.
The first time I saw Manchester Orchestra was with another band that I have listened to since my youth. Brand New was a very important part of my high school years, so seeing Manchester Orchestra before them was a monumental event. They have such a great aesthetic and don't subscribe to any genre. They always push themselves further and find new ways to interpret themselves.
On Thursday, these loose threads of my musical repertoire will entwine as I get to experience what is bound to be the concert of the year.
I have to admit that I fell behind on their discographies. I am catching up today and, my, how I have missed you guys!
Manchester Orchestra has found a harsher, rougher, earthier niche that suits them so perfectly! 'Means Everything to Nothing' has swept it's way up the rungs of my musical heirarchy. This album is a keeper. From the production quality to the use of instruments, their true musical ability really shines on this album. They have a much more organic sound, that is electronic and pulsing around the edges. It is the perfect juxtaposition of the former sharp, electric sounds of 'You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, But Brilliance Needs A Good Editor' and the blues roots lo-fi feel that began to surface in 'Like A Virgin Losing A Child.'
Thrice, on the other hand, is just a whole 'nother mammal! These guys have never ceased to astound me with their constant progression. These guys don't burn bridges, they build them. As a matter of fact, they build entire highways. They don't let anything fall behind in what they have learned about their sound. Everything that you hear in this album can show you where they've been. They incorporate every punk-rock chord they used back in the 'Identity Crisis' days and every discordant melody they discovered with 'Alchemy Index.' Yet somehow, you can always find something new. The only thing that troubles me about this album is where will they go next? They've covered so much ground, what could be left? But then again, isn't that what I say everytime? That's the sign of true musicianship.

No comments: